Trade Adjustment Assistance
Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) is available to workers who lose their jobs or whose hours of work and wages are reduced as a result of increased imports.
Benefits and eligibility criteria for TAA change frequently. Visit the U.S. Department of Labor Trade Act to learn about the criteria for this program.
Under the Trade Act of 1974, workers whose employment is adversely affected by increased imports may apply for TAA, which includes a variety of benefits and reemployment services to help unemployed workers prepare for and obtain suitable employment. Workers may be eligible for:
- Job Search Allowance
- Relocation Allowance
- Other Reemployment Services
- Additional weeks of unemployment insurance benefits following the exhausion of regular benefits
To qualify for Trade Readjustment Allowances workers must:
- Be covered by certification
- Be laid off due to lack of work in adversely affected employment
- Be laid off from employment on or after the impact date and before the ending date of certification
- Have worked at least 26 weeks at wages of $30 or more a week in adversely affected employment with a single firm or subdivision in the 52 week period ending with the week of separation.
- Have been entitled to and have exhausted all rights to Unemployment Insurance (UI) Benefits
- Meet the same weekly work text applicable to claimants for extended unemployment insurance benefits, including actively seeking, applying for and accepting work within your capabilities
- Be enrolled in or have completed an approved training program, unless training requirement is waived by the designated state agency.
Establishing Group Eligibility for TAA
You must file a petition with the Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance to establish group eligibility to apply for TAA. Petitions many be filled by a group of three or more workers, their union, or an authorized representative. You can obtain forms from your nearest netWORKri Office.
If you have exhausted your benefits, visit our additional resources web page.